Our History

Hits: 3599

The Southside Church of Christ had its beginning on June 17, 1934, in a small remodeled dwelling at the corner of 17th Street and Avenue G. Brethren S.E. Holt and Liff Sanders conducted the first service with about seventy-five other members from the Broadway congregation in attendance. Brother Claude McClung conducted the first Gospel Meeting. Growth was such that elders were soon needed. Brethren H.C. Bowling, L.D. Morgan, and O.C. Horne were appointed. In October of the same year Brother Albert Smith was employed as the first full-time minister.

Because of rapid growth the congregation’s meeting facilities soon became inadequate. Most brethren pre-ferred to relieve the situation by starting another con-gregation. So, about half of the membership, under the leadership of brethren Morgan and Bowlin, moved and started a new work at 8th Street and Avenue T in 1938.

In 1939, discussions arose about 17th and Avenue G being a poor location for the future development of the congregation. It was decided that a better place would be sought. The site at 23rd Street and Avenue N was selected. A spacious building was erected at this location and the first services were held in it on the last Sunday in April, 1939. Southside’s phenomenal growth continued.

Growth of the congregation continued to the point where either another congregation would have to be started or it would be necessary to enlarge the facili-ties. It was decided that another congregation would be started. Approximately 125 members from Southside established the College Avenue Church of Christ in 1948. History repeated itself and Southside’s growth made it necessary to begin another congregation. Hence, Vandelia Village Church of Christ had its beginning in 1953.

Southside continued to grow. The facilities became so crowded two morning services were necessary. Finally, it was decided that the facilities would be expanded. Land was purchased at 23rd and Avenue M. Work was begun on a new brick auditorium in 1954. In February, 1955, the congregation moved into the new auditorium which had a seating capacity of 700. The older facilities were converted into an educational building. This location and the buildings there served Southside’s needs well over the years. However, with the passage of time, the neighborhood where the building was situated changed in ways that caused a dramatic decline in attendance and in membership. A new day was to dawn in Southside’s history.

Approximately four acres of land, located between 85th and 86th Streets (east of Quaker Avenue) were given to Southside. A new edifice was constructed and Southside began worshipping at this site in September, 1994. With this move Southside resumed her tradition as a growing congregation.

Many good men have served as elders overseeing the the work at Southside down through the years. Those who have shepherded the Southside flock include: H.C. Bowlin, L.D. Morgan, O.C. Horne, W.O. Perkins, Clay Turner, G.G. Hunter, O.B. Haynes, J.I. Parham, R.E. Bankhead, J.V. Bradley, T.M. Kennedy, M.C Walters, Basil Webb, Elmer Yorty, Guy Coleman, Leland Horne, Lowery Malloy, O.E. Smith, Ryan Bankhead, Ralph Rogers, Robert Graham, Truman Gregory, Bill Boyd, Charles Horton, James Bavousett, Ealy H. Brock, Estes Finley, Gordon Brewer, Ray Joplin, and Johnny Stewart. Presently, Dale Stone and Malcolm Young serve Southside as her elders.

Preachers who have worked with Southside (in the order of service) are: Albert Smith, Thomas McDonald, Guy N. Woods, D.H. Perkins, Cecil N. Wright, Vaughn Shofner, O.H. Tabor, Cline Paden, Leon Savage, Earl Danley, Herman Alexander, Austin Siburt, Terry Brown, and Gordon Brewer. Since March 1997, Tommy J. Hicks has served Southside as her preacher.

Over the years, Southside has worked to spread the Gospel of Christ throughout the world, to care for orphans, widows, and others in need. She has worked to spiritually develop and mature the faithful. Since 1998 an annual lectureship is held beginning the second Sunday in October. The worship services are broadcast every Sunday morning on the local radio station KFYO, and over the internet as well. South-side’s past makes all of us rejoice in the accomplish-ments she has achieved in her service to the Lord. However, we look to the future with desires and expressions of bringing even more honor and glory to the name of the Lord.

Having one’s name listed in a “church directory” cannot be taken as an indication of one’s standing before God. Still, it can confidently be said, among, the members of the Southside congregation, some of the finest people in the world are found. Southside has the commendable reputation of being a warm, loving, friendly, and a doctrinally sound congregation. May it ever be so.